Things I'm Loving in January

There is something I love about January. Maybe it's the newness and excitement a new year brings. Or maybe it's that most of the craziness that happen around the holidays has died down. Or maybe its just that I love the cold and January brings the hope of snow (which is pretty rare where I live).

Back in the summer, I started listening to podcasts on a regular basis. This may sound dramatic, but podcasts have saved my life the past few months. Listening to women speak openly and vulnerably about hard stuff and really made me question if I'm doing the same with others in my life. One podcast I listen to, The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey, ends each podcasts with 3 things the guest is loving and what they are reading. In hopes to revitalize my blog, I thought I would start writing about this every month.

Things I'm Loving

1. Wireless Headphones

These little guys have changed my life!!! I have only used the ones that just come with my iphone (because I'm cheap),but in October, I started going to the gym more. I was so frustrated always have to hold my phone while exercising, so I put wireless headphones on my Christmas list. I don't know how I have lived without them. Not only do I use them when I workout, but I also wear them around the house when doing chores (I love blaring my music and drowning out the world around me). The ones I got are from Amazon, and they are reasonably priced and have yet to disappoint. 


2. My Nalgene waterbottle

I like to drink a TON of water. However, at my school, they only place water pitchers out from 10:30-12:30. This was not okay with me. Although I had my yeti knockoff, if wasn't enough water to keep me quench throughout the day. Over Christmas, I noticed my brother-in-law had this huge water bottle, and I knew that I would use my Christmas money to buy one. Luckily it was on sale, here. I try to drink 2 full bottles a day. 


3. The Greatest Showman soundtrack

LIFE. CHANGING. This soundtrack has been on repeat since I saw the movie 2 weeks ago. I would suggest seeing the movie first though because the songs will make more sense. Not only are the song fun with a great beat, most of them have a great message behind them. 



What I'm Reading

My goal for 2018 is to read more. I am so guilty of coming home, and scrolling through my phone as something plays on Netflix. I have learned that while this isn't always bad, it's not a great way to relax and unwind from the day. I made it my goal to read 24 books in 2018-2 a month. I probably could've gone with more buttttttt who knows what life is going to through you. Here what I read in January.

1. The Road Back to You-An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile

Have you heard about the Enneagram? I never had until listening to podcasts. This book talks about each number (1-9) on the Enneagram. Great resource to learn more about yourself!

Favorite quote: "The thing that is really hard and really amazing is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself -Anna Quindlen.) 

2. Braving the Wilderness-The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brene Brown



I had never heard of Brene Brown before I heard her TED talk on vulnerability. It is powerful. She is so wise. This book was just as great as her TED talk. 

Favorite Quote: "Stop walking through the world looking for confirmation that you don’t belong. You will always find it because you’ve made that your mission. Stop scouring people’s faces for evidence that you’re not enough. You will always find it because you’ve made that your goal. True belonging and self-worth are not goods; we don’t negotiate their value with the world. The truth about who we are lives in our hearts. Our call to courage is to protect our wild heart against constant evaluation, especially our own. No one belongs here more than you.” 


PS: I borrow almost every book I read from the library. Not that I don't want to support the authors, but I cannot buy/have room for all the books I read. I search the online catalog, put it on hold and they email me when it's available. AMAZING! Use your local library!!!
  

Comments