College Didn't Prepare Me

College didn't prepare me. I went to college for 4 years to be a teacher and it didn't prepare me. Are you shocked? Do you feel the same way?

Let me back up....As many of you know, I graduated from a small, Christian university in May. My experience there was pretty great. I loved my friends, classes and professors. I loved the Christian atmosphere. I took some really challenging courses there (looking at you Children's Literature and EDU 216). But it didn't prepare me.

This is not to slight Anderson University. It's not to bash the college or the professors.  I memorized the information I was given. I passed the tests and the projects. I passed my observations and portfolio with flying colors. But thinking about all that stuff now, I think "what was the point?"

No college class prepared me for the tears filling a child's eyes because they missed breakfast and the last meal they ate was lunch the day before. No college class prepared me for hearing a little girl scream every morning for her mom. No college class prepared me for the student who comes in smelling like urine. No college class prepared me for when I drove around the city I teach in and saw the poverty and homes these students come from.

But..... No college class prepared me for hearing a little girl whisper in my ear "I love you." No college class prepared me for all the little hands that want to hold mine. No college class prepared me for the first time my lowest-achieving student said my name. No college class prepared me to love hearing "Miss Rosser, guess what?!"  No college class prepared me for how much joy I have because I get to work with these children. Children who are beautiful and creative and kind. Children who need so much love and support.

I've only been teaching for about 3 months, but I already believe that I have the best job in the world. No, college didn't prepare me, but without the knowledge and practical applications I learned, I would not have the opportunity to impact the future of America.

Comments