Comfort Zones

Last week I started a new job. I started waitressing at a local restaurant really close to where I live. When I decided to live in Anderson this summer, I applied for a job at a day camp. I was told time and time again not to worry, I basically had the job. The interview went great, so I had no worries. About 2 weeks later, the boss emailed me saying that I didn't get the job. The only reason was because I needed off the first week of the camp. I was super bummed. I had to completely start over. I had no idea what I was going to do.

Thankfully, I still had my job at school. I was also hired to work for another department as well. I really love working there, but I knew that as the summer progressed, the work load there would be less and less. So I started looking elsewhere. I knew some friends who worked at daycares, but I just wanted to do something different. Every summer, I've nannied and/or babysat. And don't get me wrong, I love it. I love kids. But this summer, I wanted to do something different.

One of my neighbors works at this restaurant, so on a whim, I asked if they were hiring. And they were! I went in last Monday and they hired me right on the spot! I trained 4 days last week and finally, this past weekend I was able to work all on my own. Thankfully, the restaurant isn't the busiest one in town so I've been able to slowly work myself into the waitressing life.

I tell you all this, because this has already been such a learning experience. I have been so humbled throughout this experience. I've never worked in the restaurant business before so I had to start at the very beginning. I like being good at what I do. There are many times that I simply won't do something because I know I'm not good at (pride will kill ya). And I really hate that about myself. I won't play frisbee with friends because I'm not that good. I won't paint a picture because it won't turn out like I want. I won't make small talk with someone because I won't know what to talk to them about. They may sound like dumb stuff, but I really care too much about what others think of me.

This job has pushed me out of my comfort zone. I'm an introvert. I don't like being around people. I've always worked with the people very similar to me, but with this job, I'm working with some very interesting people. And you know what, I like them. I've enjoyed getting to know them and their stories. It's been a pleasant surprise. And it's made me think about all the other opportunities I've passed up because I was too scared or cared too much about what other people thought.

So from here on out, I'm going to take the plunge. It may be scary at first. And yes, I will probably fail the first couple times. But, I've learned that those are always the best lessons and stories.

Step out of your comfort zone. I promise that there's nowhere you can go that's outside of Jesus' :)

Comments