What Jesus Taught Me At 6 am

Last time I posted I was outside enjoying the 65 degree day. Today, 3 days later, I am watching snow fall. South Carolina weather is crazy. It's 7am here and they say they aren't calling off school-but we'll see what happens.

First off-I am not a morning person, but I have this sixth sense about rain. And that's what woke me up this morning at 5am. Usually, I can turn over and fall back asleep, but I was anxiously awaiting and email from our Provost saying that classes were cancelled (I was disappointed). So I decided to just get up, make some coffee, eat breakfast, spend time with the Lord and wait for the snow (because I did sleep with my pajamas inside out!!!!).

And guess what-it started to snow!!! I decided to take my coffee outside and watch the snow fall. It was still dark, so I watched the snow fall with the lamp post in the background. It was beautiful. As I sat there, I pondered and talked to God. My personal walk has been so up and down-so this was perfect. Just me and the Lord. And he spoke to me.

The snow makes everything white and clean. It makes everything beautiful-even fire hydrants and cars. And that's exactly what the Lord does with our hearts. Our hearts are ugly, ugly places. They are filled with jealousy, frustrations, annoyances, insecurities, hatred, comparisons, and about a million other ugly character traits.

Luke 6:45 says "For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."

Recently, my mouth has not spoken nice things. I've been full of sarcasm and gossip. My heart has been so dirty and ugly.
But this morning, as I watch the snow fall, I was reminded of a verse in Isaiah,

"Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow" (1:18).

Yes, my heart is ugly. Yes, my heart is full of sin. But just as I prayed for snow last night, I pray for forgiveness of my sins and Jesus cleanses my heart. How wonderful is that?

But the most incredible thing is-unlike snow, which cleanses the world around me for a couple days, Jesus' forgiveness never runs out. He offers it graciously day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute. Tomorrow, or maybe even later today, the sun will come out and snow will melt and the ugly fire hydrant and cars will be exposed again. But our hearts will never be too hot, too dirty or too ugly for the love of Christ.

Rest in that truth today!

Soli Deo Gloria,
C

Comments

  1. Love this Cullen!! It's awesome how God speaks to us through His creation! Thanks for your humility and transparency in sharing this. What a great message of sharing the gospel!
    I'm about to post a blog about what God spoke to me through the snow too, and I found it crazy that we were both inspired by and spoken to by Him through the snow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment