Actually not that bad of a place

Yesterday, two of my roommates, my sister and I drove down to Helen, GA to go tubing. Not behind the boat kind of tubing, but an inflated tube floating down the Chattahoochee kinda. I had never been, but it's super relaxing, well we're you're not stuck on a rock or running into people. Along the way, I got separated from my friends, and so I just laid back and contemplated life. I closed my eyes and heard the laughter of the kids around me and felt the wind blowing through my hair and the sun shining on my face. In those moments, I realized that the world isn't as terrible as I make it out to be.

I am a pessimist. I would rather expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised than expect the best and get disappointed. When I hear new stories about murders, rape and world and see performances like Miley's last week, I become so discouraged by the world I live in. But oh, how quickly I forget about the stories of random acts of kindness and the people who hold the door open when you're hands are full. Sure, maybe they are life changing moments, but they are there. And that's what I think life is all about. Embracing the good. Encouraging those who do good and not always focusing on the evil. Sure, we can't just close our eyes and hope it all goes away. What a different world we would live in if we started focusing on the good of the world, and not solely the bad!

So, go ahead and join me! It will be hard for me to not be so pessimistic, but hey, what do  I have to lose??

Watch this short video that shows that security cameras don't just capture the bad guys.


Comments