It's funny

This past weekend, I stumbled upon many things that reminded me of high school-texts, letters, even a prom video. Okay, I'll admit, it wasn't so much stumbling as it was procrastinating. But it's funny. In high school,  you think that the world is ending when you walk across that stage. You don't know how you're going to completely start over. You think that your friends are going to be your best friends forever. But at the same time, you think that you have your life figured out-your college, you major, your boyfriend, your future, everything. (Or at least this is how I was.)

And two things I've learned. One, if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans. And, okay, I say I've learned this, but I will always be a planner. I will always think my my plans are the best. It's really something that I need to pursue better. But I went into college with a plan. Work hard, make life long friends, get good grades, graduate (hopefully early), become a teacher, get married (to my high school boyfriend), have a couple of kids and live happily ever after. And God had a real good laugh with that one. Not that there's anything wrong with making plans, I don't think that you should just sit around and wait for God to make the first move, but you have to be pursuing God during your times of making plans and making sure that your plans align with His. Honestly, he does have the best plan in mind, and I have to constantly remind myself of that. Even when it's hard and even when it's not what you want to do, following Jesus is the best thing you can do.

I also learned that the anxiety of something is always worse than the actual event. The interview is never as bad at you imagine. The big test is never as horrible as you think. And college isn't as scary as it seems. While you may think that life as you know it is ending, it is,in fact, beginning.  And it's a beautiful thing. By not knowing anyone, you have the ability to completely reinvent yourself, be the person you want to be, not the person you've been perceived to be for the past 18 years. But you also figure out, that the girls you stayed up until 4 in the morning with laughing, talking and crying with become a distant memory. It's not that there was a following out or anything, you just realize that people move on. They make new friends and you make yours. While it's sad, it's encouraging that over breaks, you can still get together and talk about life, but you know it was never be what it was. And I guess that some people aren't meant to stay in our lives forever. And while that's hard to understanding, it's comforting that the Creator of the world cares enough about you to bless you with certain friendships at particular points of your journey.

That's just my two cents for today.
Until next time,
C


Comments